Friday, October 31, 2008

The Red Cross

It was my first travel abroad, and it was my very first experience of joining an international event. I learned so much about cultural understanding, humanitarian works, and I built bigger dreams, that one day, I would be part of those wonderful works for humanity. It all started with the Indonesian Red Cross.

I did not think too much when I joined the Red Cross Activity in my high school, back in 1993.

I have been admiring Jean Henry Dunant and his works since I was a child. I red his mini-biography, and I built a dream, that one day, I would be at a battleground, helping the wounded soldiers or negotiating peace in between to adverse enemies.

I took the Red Cross activities very seriously, as I just LOVE it. Then, through that love, I started my very first social activities, starting from preparing fundraising coupons up to joining the search and rescue trainings and work camps, until my coach picked me to represent my school in some competitions. To be brief, I reached a national competition in 1995 and won. The following year, the Indonesia Red Cross Society sent me and a friend of mine, Newy, who was the first winner of that national competition to the International Exchange Program held in Japan.

The message of this short article is, once you love what you do, you will always be passionate about it. You would give 110% of your effort in every activities, and there you go, you will shine so bright that people would notice your dedication, and they are happy about it. As much as you want to give your best to something that you love, the ones who trust you would be motivated to give you the best in return.

Find out more about the Indonesian Red Cross Society, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Society, and the Japanese Red Cross. Who knows, something might fit you there! :)

No comments: